Photo credit: Marsh Kove Media
Create a memorable day at a historic and unique wedding venue in Washington DC
Congratulations on your engagement!
Consider our historic wedding venue located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington DC. Newly renovated, we offer a choice of rooms and gardens, giving you the flexibility to create a memorable day no matter how you setup our spaces.
I personally invite you to experience our Quaker hospitality as the venue for your wedding. We offer a unique setting, centrally located yet removed from the bustle of Washington DC.
Event and Rental Manager
Now booking for 2022 and 2023.
- Wedding and Event Professionals: Schedule a tour of our spaces. Please reach out to find a time!
- Elopements & Micro Weddings: In partnership with Bright Occasions and other wedding professionals, we offer elopement and micro wedding packages. Please click here to learn more and see pricing information. If you just need a venue for your ceremony, we can help you!
Watch our virtual wedding tour
How will we make your special day memorable?
- Open to All Couples: Our community extends its Quaker hospitality to all couples regardless of age, race, gender, profession, sexual orientation, religious, political, or socioeconomic background.
- Perfect for Interfaith or Secular Ceremonies: Because Quakerism does not rely on the religious symbolism often present in other faith traditions, couples of mixed faiths or those with undefined religious leanings feel comfortable at our wedding venue. You are welcome to choose any officiant authorized to perform marriages in the District of Columbia.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Our staff — both in advance of your wedding and on your special day — will be available to answer questions as you plan your nuptials and to make sure that everyone is comfortable in our spaces.
- Connections to wedding professionals: Our staff is happy to connect you with caterers, photographers, and other vendors already familiar with our spaces — simplifying your search.
How is our venue unique?
- Location and Welcome: You’ll immediately feel welcome and at ease in the simple elegance of the historic Friends Meeting of Washington’s beautiful spaces and gardens. Located in the vibrant Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington DC, our wedding venue is convenient to many nearby hotels and restaurants, perfect for your guests arriving from out of town. Almost all spaces are fully accessible to individuals with disabilities or accessibility challenges
- Newly renovated and filled with light: From the moment you walk into our lobby, you will experience our newly renovated spaces, filled with light. Almost all spaces are fully accessible to individuals with disabilities or accessibility challenges. We are also an environmentally sustainable wedding venue with solar panels and a green roof.
- A unique and flexible venue: Our spaces are large enough to hold wedding ceremonies of up to 300 people and many couples are able to enjoy the convenience of holding their reception in the same venue. Or if your vision for your wedding is a small intimate gathering, we have spaces perfect for your nuptials as well.
- Three beautiful garden spaces to choose from: We offer three beautiful garden spaces that offer choices for your wedding day. Our staff will help you create your vision for how our spaces will fit your special day and our flexible spaces allow for numerous setup options. For example, you may choose an indoor ceremony with your reception spilling out into our gardens. Or you may choose a garden ceremony and transform them into your reception space once you are married.
Who may get married at Friends Meeting of Washington?
We are open to all couples, regardless of beliefs, gender, or orientation. You do not need to attend worship at Friends Meeting of Washington or another Quaker meeting. You need not consider yourself a Quaker, have attended a Quaker school, or have any other connection to Quakerism.
Are same sex couples welcome?
Yes! We are open to all couples and welcome LGBTQ weddings!
Our community has celebrated same sex weddings and commitment ceremonies for decades. We welcome couples of all genders and orientations to celebrate their weddings in our wedding venue, conveniently located in the heart of Washington DC.
Does Friends Meeting of Washington provide an officiant?
No, identifying and contracting with an officiant is your responsibility.
You are welcome to select anyone that you choose to lead your ceremony. Our list of preferred wedding and event professionals offers several individuals who we know.
As Quakers do not have clergy, we are unable to provide you with an officiant for your wedding, although a few of our members and attenders may be licensed to perform weddings.
If you choose to be married in the Quaker tradition, we may be able to provide one or more individuals to sit “head of meeting” during your ceremony to lead the worship, but this cannot be guaranteed.
What do we offer couples?
A choice of settings for your ceremony, both indoor and outdoor:
For larger weddings, our Meeting Room—the spiritual heart of our campus—seats up to 300 people. Its simple elegance includes dark wood pews, luminous gray walls, high ceilings, and expansive windows that welcome in the natural light. You may choose to offer refreshments on the east garden’s terrace prior to your ceremony.
For smaller weddings, our Quaker House Living Room offers a more intimate space for your ceremony, seating up to 40 people. It is a simple yet elegant space in a historic home, complete with vintage style furniture and a working fireplace (which you may use for an additional cleaning cost).
For smaller or larger weddings, beautiful gardens and terraces make for a beautiful outdoor ceremony—and you may rent a tent in case of rain.
An easy transition from the ceremony to your reception:
If you are married in the Meeting Room, our Assembly Room, with its open floor plan, offers a perfect space for a seated dinner and reception of up to 96 people. The east gardens and terrace is a perfect location for a wine and hors d’oeuvres reception following the ceremony and before dinner.
For additional space, your dinner and celebration to follow may also take place in our west gardens and terraces, for which you may rent a tent. Champagne, wine, and beer may be served (no spirits or liquors) with prior approval.
Perfect spaces for photography to memorialize your day:
- The front garden’s stone staircases and courtyards are ideal for wedding photos.
- The nearby Spanish Steps offer opportunities for additional photography
“My husband and I were married at the Friends Meeting of Washington in July 2019 and we could not have been more excited and or happier with the location, facility and Friends community. It was very important to us to be married at the Friends Meeting House because of the rich history in Washington DC and in the United States. We incorporated some of its history into our ceremony.
Not only was the ceremony beautiful and uplifting in the Meeting House, there were many incredible backdrops for pictures, including lovely gardens and flowers, unique architecture and the little-known Spanish Steps a half a block away. The Meeting House has many options for set up. We chose a very simple plan with floral arrangements behind the officiant and on the windowsills. The sun coming through the big windows made the beautiful wood and the room very inviting and everyone entered with a smile.” ~ P and M